Donnerstag, 19. September 2013

Virtual world and me

Somehow it's a love-hate relationship between the opportunitiys of the virtual web and the trouble it gives to me and my time. Sometimes I want to quit with social networks, mail programmes or online newspapers. But I know that I can't right now, cause it feels like the only way to stay in contact with some of my friends, and to get informations I would miss otherwise. Moreover I love stories and pictures and when I have interest in a topic I can take hours to read articles, blogs or collect pictures and ideas. This is not something bad. But in the combination that it distracts me from what I actually should do it's not good.
Because often I just sit there and suddenly I realize how much time passed by just doing nothing but consuming data-information of the web. Information which includes stories, pictures, ideas, inspiration, knowledge, news. A lot of them are useful, some give me hints, some help me, but too many of informations about everything distract me from what I actually wanted to do. To keep plans is something I am not very good at in general, so the web even makes it harder.

By just comsuming others lifes I lose myself. By writing about my own I get closer to myself.
 Often I look for something in the virtual world that I miss in my real life. Like when if I feel lonely by just sitting at the desk writing my thesis and no one is there, I would go online to get away from that feeling, to distract myself. It's a pattern which annoys me.
The virtual world is important. We can share more than ever. We can get more information than ever. We can stay in contact much easier than ever. But we lose so much, too. I feel that I lose real close friendship. Lose time in which we would just concentrate on one single simple thing. Lose focus on what matters most. Lose ourselves.

Some days ago I heard a man in the subway talking about that he decided to have no computer at home anymore. Furthermore he talked about the moment when you actually feel tired and not concentrated anymore and start to do something on the internet, just anything. And suddenly a few hours passed just because you missed the moment to stop. I want to realize this moment when it's a good moment to stop.

I am on my way to finish my studies, the only thing I have to do is writing my master thesis. And I have to write it on a computer, for sure. So how to stay away from the web? How to stay focused?
By creating a new blog? By not just comsuming others stuff but by producing even more information? Sounds right to me, so I will try. Not feel used by the internet but use it.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Well said! And I feel quite the same!
    Good idea to learn to stop losing yourself in the virtual world, I guess I should work on the same too.

    AntwortenLöschen